openSUSE

I've just moved from Kubuntu to openSUSE.
The reason is simple, Kububtu 9.10 revealed too unstable for me. In just a couple of months I had to reinstall once and when troubles reappear for the second time, I talked with a friend and decided to give a try to openSUSE.

So far, so good. It's a lot more stable and my hardware seems to be better supported, even my ATI Mobility Radeon X700 that always gave me headaches in Linux works fine. Unfortunately the 3D support seems not be be fully working, but that is not a issue, at least for now.

I kept KDE as my window manager, it suits better my needs. The first look and feel at it was very pleasant. Even the desktop wallpaper is very good.
One of the first things I've learn was to add the Packman repository, since the default official repositories does not have some software for "some legal uncertainties". For instance, it does not have the mpeg2enc from mjpegtools, one has to remove the mjpegtools, add the Packman repository and add the mjpegtools again in order to have the Packman mjpegtools package installed, which does have the mpeg2enc.
Other great software, like 'Q' DVD-Author and DeVeDe, also comes from the Packman repository, so it is critical to include it.

Some things are different, specially when it comes to the administration part. Maybe it is because openSUSE has so much affinity with SUSE servers, it has a lot of easy administration tools right out-of-the-box.
But some things seem the same. The Network Manager still sucks. Why is it so hard to use, specially when its flag is "Pain-Free Networking"? Since Network Manager appeared, all it gave me was problems. In Kubuntu it simply did not connect via wifi, and now I can't enable it, even after I defined it to be my network manager and enabled it!...

Anyway, everything seems to work just fine and I'll keep openSUSE for a while, specially because it seems very stable.

./M6