ATI Radeon on Linux (Really) Sucks

ATI drivers for Linux never worked well. I have an Mobility Radeon X700 and I've been struggling with it for over 4 years on several Linux distributions.

I'm using Kubuntu for several months now, and on the previous version I was able to use the ATI drivers without the 3D acceleration. The drivers had to be installed from the Hardware Drivers System application. If I tried the official driver downloaded from ATI, it simply crashed.

I've recently upgraded Kubuntu to 9.04, and the Xorg configuration and ATI driver being used, were gone. Once again, I've tried the official ATI driver, version 9.4, and, once again, it crashed the system in such a way that I had to reboot through hardware. I've uninstalled the driver and tried the same procedure that worked on the previous Kubuntu version. It didn't work and it also crashed.
The problem was, I was able to install and uninstall the driver through the Hardware Drivers System application.
So, for two day I've been fighting to make the ATI driver to work or to go back to the previous configuration and driver.
I was unable to make the driver to work, so I spend some hours trying to revert into the previous working configuration.

Finally, I found the answer in the Ubuntu Documentation site, under the Community Documentation section, in the RadeonDriver article. Everyone's having problems with Radeon graphic cards under Linux, specially Ubuntu/Kubuntu, should read it.

Here's the magic command line that made X work again:
apt-get remove --purge xorg-driver-fglrx
The command must be executed as root.

If you've been suffering with ATI bad Linux support and decided not to use the official drivers, but if you wish to keep fighting, check the Radeon article on X.Org Foundation wiki.

./M6